Birchbox July 2015 Review and Unboxing!


Hey there! This is going to be my very first Birchbox review, although it isn't my first time receiving a box from them. I generally enjoy Birchbox because full sized products take me a while to get through, and the little sample sizes they send are just the right size for me to be able to get a feel for the product, and the monthly cost is pretty inexpensive too.  Their points system is what really drew me in, though! Every box usually comes with around 5 or so samples, and to earn points, you have to go on the Birchbox website and submit a short review of the items you received. For each review you submit, you are rewarded 10 Birchbox points, which is equal to $1 to spend in their shop. So really, you're spending $10 per box, but getting $5 back in store credit to spend on awesome goodies! This comes in handy when you find a product you really love in a monthly box, because then you can use the store credit to essentially get it for free if you earn enough points.  You also get 1 point for every dollar you spend in their shop, and sometimes Birchbox offers extra points or coupons that you can combine to save even more $$$!

What is Birchbox?
Birchbox is a monthly subscription box service that send you around 5 or so beauty/makeup samples for $10 per box. When you sign up, you fill out a short survey of your preferences and they send you samples of products that they think you would enjoy. This is a great way to try products before you buy them, and is also a fun little beauty surprise to receive on your doorstep every month! 

This month's theme was "Go Bold"
"Summer is not the time to hold back. It's the season of wearing brights on brights on brights, driving with the windows down, and eating popsicles for breakfast. Accordingly, what better time to dial up your beauty routine a notch (or three)? Don't worry, we'll be bringing you inspiration all month long."

image Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray (Full Size: $22-$42) image

Yay! Texturizing spray!   This is a product that's supposed to soak up oil and give your hair body and bounce. I'm super excited that I got this because my hair freaking sucks at not being oily all the time. I lucked out in that I have a lot of individual hair strands, so my hair has body, but the strands themselves are baby fine and therefore get greasy so, so easily. I have to wash my hair everyday, or else it ends up looking like an oil slick. I have tried so many dry shampoos over the years (because really, who wants to go through the torture of washing their hair every single day) but none of them did anything for me. Like, zero difference. But this one is a whole 'nother story! This stuff is magic. Seriously. I waited until my hair got super oily (which for me, is not washing it for two days image) and it really did a fantastic job of soaking up the oils in my hair. Obviously it didn't look freshly washed, because that would be asking for a miracle, but it DID look presentable enough for me to go to class and not have people shrink away from me in horror. Seriously, it's good stuff, even my boyfriend commented on it. And he has -12 experience in hair care products. image

What Birchbox says:
"Like a sturdy roll of duct tape, this multitasking spray is the ultimate quick-fix product. Part dry shampoo, part texturizer, its unique formula soaks up oils in grimy hair, and gives your flattened, blown out coif an instant dose of altitude. Waking up late never felt so serene. Patented polymers absorb oil to give hair a rough and tumble texture, while adding a bit of hold to keep things in place - all without the powdery residue that some dry shampoos leave behind."

 image StriVectin - AR Advanced Retinol Eye Treatment (Full Size: $75) image

WHY. Why do I keep getting so many eye treatments?! These past few months I've gotten so many that I'm practically swimming in them. I don't have enough wrinkles to really put this to good use, so I might be passing this one along. This is an eye treatment cream that claims to target fine lines and sagging around the eye without causing irritation. Fortunately for me, I don't have saggy eyes, but I hear retinol is a very good ingredient, so this may work well for those that do. The full size is pretty pricey, $75 for a 15ml tube. I'll probably pass it on to my mother-in-law. Or save it, maybe I'll wake up with some wrinkles in the foreseeable future? image I dunno, the price tag makes me want to try it.

What Birchbox says:
"Bring on the cat videos, The Onion articles, and the episodes of The Colbert Report. Thanks to this eye cream, we're not afraid of laugh lines and eye crinkles. The anti-aging formula gently nourishes sensitive skin around the eyes, resulting in a smoother texture and more even tone, and minimizes dark circles and puffiness. The treatment has become an essential part of our nightly ritual, right along with brushing our teeth, setting our alarm, and falling asleep playing Candy Crush."

image theBalm Cosmetics Blusher/Bronzer in "Balm Desert" (Full Size: $21) image

This sample blusher/bronzer is super cute. I don't normally wear bronzer because I prefer my super pale complexion, but as bronzers go, this one by theBalm cosmetics is very natural looking, and blends pretty nicely. I thought it was going to be way too dark at first, but after swatching it and blending a little, it gave my skin a pretty, healthy glow. It isn't too shimmery like a lot of bronzers, and it claims to be long-lasting, though I haven't tested that claim yet. I don't know if this will be enough to make me commit to wearing bronzers regularly, but since it's summer I'll give it a shot. I just wish the sample size was bigger. image




What Birchbox says:
"Lounging poolside in Palm Springs with the cast of Mad Men may be a fantasy, but we can still snag some of that warm desert glow with this silky shimmer powder from theBalm cosmetics. The fade-resistant formula works as a blush and bronzer in one to give skin that fresh, sun-kissed look - even when our late-night antics leave us feeling otherwise."

image Stila "Look at Me" Liquid Lipstick in Bella (Trio: $20) image

If you know me at all, you'll know I love liquid lipsticks. I love that they're a thinner, more workable consistency (at least for me) and I love how long they last. And this lipstick friggin' LASTS. So long. I put it on in the morning, and it lasted for a good four hours before it started looking funky. Which says a lot, because I have this bad habit of licking my lips and rubbing them together a lot whenever there's anything on them (I'm working on not doing that). image Liquid lipsticks take a bit of practice to get right, as you have to have a steady, graceful hand when applying, but they last much longer than tube lipsticks. The one issue I had with this was the color that I received. This is NOT my color at all. Usually I can pull off bright colors because I'm so pale, but this lipstick is neon, barbie pink, and it just looked so weird on me. I guess it's not my style. My boyfriend saw me apply it and he said it looked like "Nicki Minaj lipstick" which is not my style at all. No offense, Nicki. But my anaconda don't. image
Check out my crooked finger~

Here is a swatch I did really quickly over my bare lips with no lip balm or primer, just to show you the color. See what I mean about the barbie pink?! In all honestly this is a really pretty color, and I think that it would go very well with either very light or very dark skin tones, but it just isn't my style I guess. I'll work a blood red or a black, or even a lavender color on my lips, but I feel like this just looks weird on me. image Which is a shame because this formula is amazing. It doesn't get cracked or streaky like my Limecrime Velvetines do, probably because the consistency is a lot more lightweight. It also dries extremely fast, and comes off fairly easy with a makeup remover. Who knows, maybe the color will grow on me. 

What Birchbox says:
"We like to switch up our lip color day to day - but once we put it on, we want it to last all day long. This kit (available only at Birchbox!) meets both requirements: It comes with three bright shades of stila's stay all day liquid lipstick. We're not exaggerating when we say this is the most long-lasting lipstick we've ever tried. The creamy, matte formula glides on like a gloss - yet has the staying power of a stain - all without drying out your lips (thanks to nourishing vitamin E and avocado oil). This exclusive set includes lipstick minis in Bella (bright pink), Beso (classic red), and Venezia (bright color) - and comes with an adorable lip-shaped clutch."

image Whish Three Whishes Body Butter (Full size: $24) image

My favorite product in this entire box, aside from the texturizing spray, is this little lotion. This thing smells like... I don't even know. Summer. Raspberry sorbet. Almonds. Ugh, it just smells so good. I put this right in my bag. This lotion has a light, fast-absorbing formula that still manages to moisturize and leaves your hands feeling so soft. The label says body butter, but this has a bit of a lighter consistency than most traditional body butters. Still, it's great to carry along with you to keep your hands smelling great and feeling soft. image



What Birchbox says:
"From no-calorie cupcakes to pinch-free stilettos, we admit that we're prone to wishful thinking. Another item near the top of our if-only-it-were-real list: a truly non-greasy body lotion. Much to our surprise, this decadent organic body butter fits the bill. It contains a trio of antioxidant-rich moisturizers that nourishes skin and wards off sun damage."


Final Verdict:
There were honestly only a few items in my Birchbox that were keepers for me, which are the Oribe texturizing spray and the Whish lotion. I don't normally use bronzer, so I don't know how much use I'll get out of the Balm Desert blusher/bronzer sample, and the neon pink Stila lipstick isn't really up my alley. The StriVectin eye cream I might use though, just because it looks fancy. Overall, this wasn't the best box I've received, but the curation wasn't bad, the lotion had a really pretty, light scent for summer, and the bronzer and bright lipstick feel summery and fun. It all fit the theme well, but I guess I'm just not a very summery person. Honestly, it wasn't too bad, looking back. I'm just waiting for a month where Birchbox sends a box that will completely blow me away! But until then, it's a fun thing to get for only $10. Although my review seems harsh this month, I still do enjoy seeing Birchbox on my doorstep every month!

If you're interested in signing up for Birchbox, you can do so OVER HEREimage




Disclaimer: All thoughts and opinions on this blog are strictly my own. No monetary compensation was received in exchange for this review, although this blog does accept goods and/or services for the purposes of an honest review. Posts may contain affiliate or referral links.

No comments

Cute Polka Dotted Red Bow Tie Ribbon