The Butter Box August & September Box Review & Unboxing!


Hey there! The Butter Box is a fairly new subscription box service, and it's a new subscription for me as well, so I'm very excited to open my first month's (well, first two month's) box! The Butter Box from My Butter Bar is a monthly subscription box full of high-quality, vegan bath and body products that are 100% all natural, and include no chemicals or chemically altered ingredients. Even the fragrances, preservation methods, and colorants are 100% au-naturale. Their products are safe enough to eat! Which is coincidentally their mantra: "Natural Products, Natural Scents, and good enough to eat Products - Period!". 


My Butter Bar also partners with Water 4 Youth, an organization that helps bring clean water to children in Ghana, West Africa. The Butter Bar is fair trade, meaning they empower developing countries, and since the production of shea butter is a female-dominated industry, it allows women to be empowered by receiving fair wages, learning new skills, and providing for their families. Good stuff!

My Butter Bar offers subscribers two choices. You can choose from either:

FC2無料カウンター The Butter Box Mini: 5 "shot" sized mini products for $19.95 monthly or $50 for 3 months
FC2無料カウンター The Butter Box: 3-4 full sized products for $29.95 monthly or $80 for 3 months.

I decided to go with The Butter Box, as the product sizes themselves didn't seem too large upon first glance, so I wasn't sure how small the minis were going to be. There was also a coupon I used for 50% off my first month's box, and I couldn't resist fair trade, all natural goodness for only $15!


Squee! A bath bomb! Aw yisss.

There was a mishap on someone's part (it may have been mine, maybe) and I paid for August's box, but never received it. So this month I received both the August and September box in one shipment!


Info card for August's box. Pretty much useless, though, as it has no product information, and you can barely read the lettering, anyway. Sidenote: my nails totally fit the berry theme.

Straw-Burry & Cream Whipped R$ch Poo ($18)


This is a vegan-friendly, sulfate-free natural shampoo that contains a bunch of yummy ingredients such as coconut, shea, and cacao butter. It has a really light, fluffy texture and smells deliciously like strawberries! FC2無料カウンター I've never used an all natural shampoo before, and to be honest, I don't really know what to expect, since I have super oily hair that's difficult to please. But I can't wait to try this out!

What The Butter Box says:

"This  gentle hair cleanser is high in moisture, featuring our famous R$ch Butter, Decyl Glucoside (mild natural surfactant derived from coconuts and/or sugar beets), and Sweet Almond Oil. Scented with an Organic Vegan Fragrance. Detangling Curls is made easy as you slide the 'Poo through strands.  Guaranteed to leave hair soft & squeaky clean! 

Ingredients: 

Decyl Glucoside (Coconut), Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) Fruit, Vegetable Glycerin, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, Panthenol DL, Natural Vegan Strawberry & Vanilla Fragrance Oil
To use: Scoop a generous amount of the Whipped R$ch Poo into hands and into hair, from root to tip.using fingers or wide-tooth comb to detangle if necessary. Rinse with warm water. 


Black Berry R$ch Butter All-Over Wash ($13)

This body wash is also vegan-friendly and sulfate-free, and smells just like the shampoo. It comes in a pretty large 8oz bottle, so this looks like it will last a while! 


What The Butter Box says:

"This  cleanser is  high in moisture, featuring a heavy helping of Fair Trade Pure Shea Butter and Sweet Almond Oil. Scented with an Organic Vegan Fragrance. Guaranteed to leave skin soft & squeaky clean - no matter how hard you've gone or dirty you've gotten!"

Ingredients: 

Aloe Vera Juice, Whole Leaf Aloe Vera Gel, Purified Water(Aqua), Saponified Coconut and Olive Oils, Hemp Oil, Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Sea Salt, Citric Acid, *Organic Fair Trade Shea Butter (Water4Youth), Cocoa Butter, Sweet Almond Oil, Rosemary (Rosmarinus Officinalis) 
To use: Just add water! 


Wild Cherry Mini Bath Bomb ($3-5?)


I used to be obsessed with bath bombs... when I had a bath tub, at least. But then we ripped up our bath tub, and installed a shower. *Cries* Hopefully when I move in December, I'll finally have a bath tub again so I can use this! I couldn't find a price nor description for this on their website or on the info card that they sent, but since everything else is reasonably priced, I'm going to assume that this is between $3-5.

No ingredients list either, but they're bath bombs all seem to have Sodium Bicarbonate (the stuff that makes the fizz), Citric Acid, Kaolin Clay, Almond Oil, Shea Butter, and Natural Fragrance as ingredients.


To use: Drop bath bomb into warm bath water. Allow to completely dissolve in water (3 to 5 minutes) releasing healing kaolin clay and moisturizing sweet almond oil along with the fragrance.



 Wild Cherry Lip Balm ($3)


This is a pot lip balm that contains a bunch of good-for-your-lips ingredients such as cocoa and shea butter and aloe vera. It's super moisturizing with a very light, fruity scent that vaguely reminds me of cherries. I can see myself becoming a huge fan of this lip balm!

What The Butter Box says:
"Sunflower Oil, Fair Trade Shea Butter, and healing Vitamin E oil are used to moisturize and deliver intense moisture, while protecting sensitive skin on your precious lips!"

Ingredients:
Vegan Soy Bean Oil, Organic Sunflower Oil, Beeswax, Cocoa Butter, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) Fruit*, Tocopherols( Vitamin E), Aloe Vera, Certified Organic Vegan Fragrance Oil
To use: Massage onto lips in a circular motion. Pucker up for kisses!


Info card for Septembers Box, Even smaller and more illegible than August's info card.

Choco-Covered Burry R$ch Butter ($8)



This is a lightly whipped body butter that still manages to be super heavy duty. This stuff is extremely moisturizing; in fact, it's a bit too much for me to use throughout the day, so I'm going to save it for night time for rough spots like my heels and elbows. It left a slightly oily film on my skin that took a good hour and a half to soak in, but the result was incredible. My hands were so soft afterward, and stayed soft throughout the entire day, even though I washed my hands multiple times with my MIL's super drying hand soap. 

There was no description on the website for this either, but it did list the usage and ingredients directly on the container. 

Ingredients:
Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) Fruit, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Seed Butter, Prumus Dulcis (Almond) Oil, Zea Mays (Corn) Starch, Natural Vegan Chocolate & Strawberry Fragrance Oil
To use: You can dive right into this jar with a clean spoon, spatula, or whatever else gets the whipped butter out the jar.


Choco-Covered Straw-Burry Sugar Scrubz ($8)


Yum, I love body scrubs! This one smells delicious, just like chocolate. This leaked a little in my box, but it's no big deal, since it isn't dried out at all. I still have a couple body scrubs to get through before I open this one, but I love the smell of this so I kind of hope that I get through the other two quickly.

What The Butter Box says:

"A signature mixture of Fair Trade Sugar, Sweet Almond Oil, and Strawberry Oil, reveals beautiful skin. Two Words: Burry Nice!"

Ingredients:
Vegan Sucrose (Sugar), Prumus Dulcis (Almond) Oil, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter) Fruit, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Powder, Natural Vegan Chocolate & Strawberry Fragrance Oil 
To use: Use once or twice a week in bath or shower: Take a small handful (using a clean spatula or spoon preferably) and apply to the body in small circular movements, then simply rinse away dull, tired-looking skin cells, and revealing new, beautifully scented skin!


Chocolate & Strawberry Bath Bomb ($~8)


Once again, I'm finding it hard to give information on this bath bomb because there's no description on the card or on their website. It's super cute, though, and I can't wait to use it! It looks like it's half chocolate and half strawberry, yum! I kind of want to figure out how to make these myself, I hear they're pretty simple to DIY!

No ingredients list, but once again, it seems that all their bath bombs contain Sodium Bicarbonate (the stuff that makes the fizz), Citric Acid, Kaolin Clay, Almond Oil, Shea Butter, and Natural Fragrance as ingredients. I love the fact that these bombs contain kaolin clay, which helps draw out toxins and other impurities from the skin while unclogging pores. 

To use: Drop a bath bomb into warm bath water. Allow to completely dissolve in water (3 to 5 minutes) releasing healing kaolin clay and moisturizing sweet almond oil along with the fragrance.

Apple Honey & Green Tea Skin Toner ($??)

Once again, no description. I think I'm starting to see a pattern here. Once again though, the most important info is already listed on the bottle, so it's all good. This is a toner that contains apple cider vinegar, green tea extract and honey extract. I absolutely hate the smell of apple cider vinegar, but I know that it has anti-bacterial properties that can be great for your skin, so I'm willing to test this out. 

Ingredients:
Apple Cider Vinegar, Lemon Balm Hydrosol, Rosemary Verbenone Hydrosol, Witch Hazel Hydrosol, Organic Green Tea Hydrosol, Organic Aloe Hydrosol, Organic Cucumber Hydrosol, Honey Extract, Organic Grapefruit Seed Extract
To use: Use on a clean cotton wipe or ball after cleansing your face with Black Honey Acne Fighting Cleanser. Do not rinse off. Follow with Aloe-Papaya Moringa Moisturizer, if needed.


Apples & Mustard Blemish Banishing Face Mask ($??)



I have no idea what this item costs either, as it seems that it isn't up on their shop's website yet. All I know is that this is a wash-off clay mask that contains apple cider vinegar and a lot of turmeric. I don't know how I feel about this yet, as it looks kind of gross to me, and it smells pretty strange as well. Plus, I don't know how my face will react to turmeric. I'm pretty brave though, so I'll probably take one for the team and end up trying this... maybe. 

Ingredients:
100% Bentonite Clay, Organic Turmeric Powder, Raspberry Root Fibers, Raw Organic Apply Cider Vinegar
To use: Use wooden spatula to apply 1/4 in. to 1/2 in. to the face or other area. Let it dry for 5-10 minutes for delicate skin, and 15-2 minutes for normal skin. You will feel a pulling and tightening sensation. Remove clay by washing with warm water. Slight redness of the skin is normal and will disappear in about 4-5 hours.


Final Verdict

I really enjoyed my Butter Box(es)! The only product I felt iffy about was the Apple & Mustard Face Mask. Since this is a relatively new subscription box service, I'm going to try to elaborate on every thought that I have in regards to these two boxes.

 I really enjoy the idea behind The Butter Box, as I'm always looking for ways to be more natural in my skincare, and in every other aspect of my life, and I love that so many products in their shops are vegan friendly! Everything I received has nice short ingredient lists full of natural, organic materials, and I doubt any of this will bother or irritate my skin in any way. Plus, supporting The Butter Box means I also support Water 4 Youth and helping children in Ghana get access to clean water. That's a win-win in my book! image

I do, however, wish that they had provided more info about their products online, or maybe sent a better/higher quality info card, as there was no product detailing on the card whatsoever (even though on their website they state that there's supposed to be a "What's in the Box" sheet printed on the back of a newsletter(?) that's supposed to be included. Maybe they left mine out for these two months? In any case, it would have been really helpful to know exactly what was in each item, and what the prices were, without having to due extensive research on their website. Also, one of my items leaked in transit, and the whipped shampoo became sort of separated in the heat, so I think that taking some preventative measures such as sealing leakable products in some plastic wrapping or a little baggie might stop any leakages from happening. Every thing else arrived perfectly fine though, and I can't say enough times how much I love that everything is natural/organic! This company seems like it's really going places, and I can't wait to see what products they send in October! Hopefully something Fall scented... (Pumpkin spice? Nah? I'm a basic white girl, what can I say). 

If you want to sign up for The Butter Box, you can do so OVER HERE. I enjoy supporting small-time, woman-run businesses, especially when they're bringing awareness to such an important cause. So many organic/vegan-friendly subscription boxes that I've seen popping up are just so lackluster and they don't really hit the mark, but this one seems really promising so far! 

3 comments

  1. I've never heard of them before. I'm totally going to check it out, as I love natural products! ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should totally check them out! Aside from the ~very~ minor leakage problems, this box was frickin' awesome. :D And they're super affordable, so you know I'm gonna be all over that. /cheapolife

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of them before. I'm totally going to check it out, as I love natural products! ♥

    ReplyDelete

Cute Polka Dotted Red Bow Tie Ribbon