Mizon Snail Repair Line Product Review, Pt. 1


Hey there! This is going to be a shorter review because these are all products that are extremely popular, so I won't go into too much detail, but I did want to talk about them a little bit. image Mizon is a K-beauty brand that I have heard infinitely many good things about, and I had always wanted to try their products, especially the Snail Recovery Gel. However, I got a super good deal in purchasing the repair cream, ampoule, and eye cream, so I decided to try those three out first.

I like to start testing new products gradually anyway, so I figured getting the entire line would be overkill and something I didn't need to do all at once. Plus, my wallet was quietly sobbing in defeat at the idea of buying 5+ items at once.  In addition to the products I will be reviewing, they also have the Snail Recovery Gel, a BB cream, and the Snail Repair Hydro Mist, which is a facial mist.


This is how Mizon suggests you use their Snail Repair line. (Turns out I was doing it completely wrong, as I've always applied ampoules and other essences before applying any creams, following the "lightest-to-heaviest formula" rule.)



FC2無料カウンター Mizon All-in-One Snail Repair Cream ($16) FC2無料カウンター

The Mizon All-in-One Snail Repair Cream is a skin cream that contains 92% snail extract and claims to "promote skin repair, effectively resolving skin problems". It's supposed to help with skin regeneration, reducing fine lines and wrinkles, minimizing pores, deliver nutrients to the skin, and help to promote elasticity and moisturize skin. Which is a heck of a lot of claims for one product.  It's packaged in a sturdy, plastic amber jar that resembles glass.

The Ingredients:
Snail Secretion Filtrate, Cetearyl Olivate, Sorbitan Olivate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Stearic Acid, Glyceryl Stearate, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Dimethicone, Triethanolamine, Carbomer, Butylene Glycol, PEG/PPG-17/6 Coploymer, Polyacrylate-13, Polyisobutene, Polysorbate 20, Sodium Polyacrylate, Caprylyl Glyocol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Tropolone, Adenosine, Sodium Hyaluronate, Portulaca Oleracea Extract, Betula Platyphylla Japonica Juice, Arnica Montana Flower Extract, Artemesia Absinthium Extract, Achillea Millefolium Extract, Gentiana Lutea Root Extract, Alcohol, Camellia Sinesis Leaf Extract, Centella Asiatica Extract, Copper Tripeptide-1, Human Ogliopeptide-1, Propylene Glycol, Rubus Idaeus (Raspberry) Fruit Extract, Beta-glucan, Palmitoyl Pentapeptide-4, Disodium EDTA

This cream has tons of amazing ingredients that are so good for the skin, including an abundance of plant extracts, and an incredible 92% snail mucin! Although the sound of rubbing snail secretions on your face may sound pretty gross, snail mucin has amazing moisturizing power and contains antimicrobial agents that help with acne, as well as proteins, elastins, and glycolic acid, all of which work wonders on irritated, lackluster skin. One thing that may be troubling to some are the Cetearyl Alcohol and Stearic Acid, which are listed on CosDNA as being potential acne triggers, as well as the Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil. So I would definitely steer clear of this if your are sensitive to any of those ingredients. image


Moving on, this cream worked really well for me, after I learned how to use it in conjunction with other products. For a while, I wasn't sure if this cream was supposed to take the place of my moisturizer, or be used in conjunction with it, so for a while I was slathering this on and then applying my regular nightly moisturizing cream. This was definite overkill, as I have combination skin and live in a very humid subtropical climate, and after 3 weeks a bunch of small, slightly raised bumps appeared all over my forehead, a sure sign that my skin was unable to breathe. So I started using it only once a day as part of my morning routine, and I really started noticing a positive difference!  My skin was immediately smoother, and more hydrated after using it, probably due to the hyaluronic acid, and it didn't lay on top of my skin, but soaked in pretty rapidly. After a few weeks of regular use, I noticed my PIH was a bit less noticeable as well. It dries to a velvety smooth finish, so for someone with oily skin, this would work well on its own. Additional moisture will probably be necessary for those with dry skin.

PROS:
FC2無料カウンター Works well to deliver light moisture without being too heavy or greasy
FC2無料カウンター Has a great ingredients list and has anti-aging benefits
FC2無料カウンター Made my skin softer, plumper, and brighter
FC2無料カウンター Odorless

CONS:
FC2無料カウンター Might not be suitable for those with drier skin types
FC2無料カウンター Caused congestion when used in conjunction with another moisturizer

Final Verdict:
Overall, this cream was... nice. It delivered light moisture and helped lighten my PIH marks a bit, but I wouldn't say that it was remarkable. I like that it is enough on hotter and more humid days, and it has a lot of ingredients that are great for your skin. You also get A LOT of product for what you pay for, and a little goes a long way. This jar will probably last me another 6 months at least. image  This is more of a treatment than a moisturizer, so you can use along with another moisturizing cream, but as usual, your mileage may vary so it helps to understand what type of skin you have, your external environment, and the ingredients of the other products in your routine. 

FC2無料カウンター Mizon Snail Repair Intensive Ampoule ($14) FC2無料カウンター

The Mizon Snail Repair Intensive Ampoule is a serum/ampoule that is applied after toning or using a chemical exfoliator during your skincare routine, and claims to promote skin regeneration, aid in anti-wrinkle and moisturizing efforts, and lighten dark spots. Ampoules, serums, and essences are my favorite part of my routine because I get to play around with a bunch of interesting ingredients that aren't always easy to find in retail/department stores. Unlike Western skincare, which offers a lot of all-in-one type "miracle" products and consists of pretty much just cleansing and moisturizing, Asian skincare products are made to tackle individual skin issues, as it's usually impossible to develop a single product that can "do it all". This is where serums and ampoules come along, and I was super excited to try this one in particular. image

This product came packaged in an amber-colored glass bottle with a dropper. 

The Ingredients:
Snail Secretion Filtrate, Sodium Hyaluronate, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Alcohol, Panthenol, Glycereth-26, Punica Granatum Extract, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Extract, Carbomer, Triethanolamine, Trehalose, Copper Tripeptide-1, Human Ogliopeptide-1, Palmitoyl Pentapeptide-4, Cornus Officinalis Fruit Extract, Nelumbo Nucifera Flower Extract, Caprylyl Glyocol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Tropolone, Sodium Polyacrylate, Adenosine, Coptis Japonica Extract, Disodium EDTA
This ampoule contains snail mucin just as the Snail Repair Cream does (80%), and there are other notable ingredients as well. Hyaluronic acid (Sodium Hyaluronate), a humectant that attracts and maintains water in the skin, is an ingredient, as well as glycerin, another humectant moisturizer. This little ampoule also contains cocoa extract (Theobroma Cacao) which acts to increase blood flow to the surface of the skin to promote healing and prevent dryness. Also noted are various fruit extracts, which again contain antioxidant properties.    This product also has a relatively low number of potential acne triggers/irritants. To see the breakdown of the active ingredients, check out CosDNA!


This product was really smooth and refreshing feeling when applied, and had a texture that was a bit thicker than water. It absorbed incredibly fast. However, it does leave a slightly sticky feeling after being applied. It's best to use this before using a moisturizer, as the humectants need a source to pull moisture from into the skin; without a moisturizer/cream, there will be nothing from which to pull moisture, and it will actually dry out your skin, which nobody wants, right?! image

After using this for about 7 weeks, I noticed a discernible difference in my PIH. It also really helped to moisturize and plump up my skin, and on the days when I didn't use it (hey, i'm not perfect, okay?) I noticed that my skin was significantly less hydrated. I really liked this product, a lot more than the Snail Repair Cream, as it didn't contribute to any breakouts, and didn't make my skin feel heavy or congested. I will totally repurchase this, I think it's a great way to get in a little extra moisture for a really good price.

PROS:
FC2無料カウンター Super hydrating and brightening
FC2無料カウンター Absorbs quickly
FC2無料カウンター Odorless
FC2無料カウンター Has anti-aging benefits and reduces fine lines/wrinkles
FC2無料カウンター Non-comedogenic
FC2無料カウンター Helped lighten post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation marks

CONS:
FC2無料カウンター Contains alcohol, which can be an irritant for some
FC2無料カウンター Feels slightly sticky after applying

Final Verdict:
This ampoule had a great ingredients list and really made my skin feel fresh and moisturized. Like the Snail Repair Cream, the Intensive Ampoule is fragrance-free, so this might work well for anyone sensitive to odors or fragrances in their skincare products. It really helped boost my skin's moisture retention, and I liked that the price was so reasonable. 4-5 drops is enough to cover my entire face, so this will last a good amount of time. Overall, I would have to give Mizon a thumbs-up this time! image

FC2無料カウンター Mizon Snail Repair Eye Cream ($14) FC2無料カウンター

So, I usually don't use eye creams. I find them to be thick and goopy and gross, and somehow they always bleed into my eyes and make them burn when I'm laying down, so I don't like to wear them when I'm about to go to sleep. I also think that they are a bit gimmicky; while it's true that the eyes are a sensitive area that's prone to fine lines/wrinkles, no where does it say that a regular moisturizer won't do the trick to help combat that. But I saw this one and wanted to see what it could do. Maybe I should have gotten the Snail Recovery Gel, or the Hydrating Mist. 

The Mizon Snail Repair Eye Cream is an eye cream formulated with 80% snail mucin, and claims to hydrate, tighten fine lines, and brighten while simultaneously strengthening the skin's moisture barrier. 



The Ingredients:
Snail Secretion Filtrate, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Limnanthes Alba (Meadowfoam) Seed Oil, Niacinamide, Cetearyl Olivate, Sorbitan Olivate, Glycerylstearate, Phytosqualene, Octyldodecyl Myristate, Cetearyl Alcohol, PEG-100 Stearate, Beeswax, Dimethicone, Stearic Acid, Sodium Hyaluronate, Polyacrylate-13, Polyisobutene, Polysorbate-20, Sodium Hyaluronate, Hydrolized Wheat Protein, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Seed Extract, Palmitoyl Pentapeptide-4, Portulaca Oleracea Extract, Betula Platyphylla Japonica Juice, Adenosine, 1,2 octanediol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Tropolone, Disodium EDT
 Like the rest of the Mizon Snail Repair line, this eye cream contains a good amount of snail mucin. It also has some other noteworthy ingredients, such as Niacinamide and Meadowfoam seed oil, both of which protect the skin's barrier and lighten hyperpigmentation, and Palmitoyl Pentapeptide-4, which promotes collagen and elastin production.  According to CosDNA, Cetearyl Alcohol is the only potential acne trigger/irritant in this product; you can check for yourself here at CosDNA's website!



I'm just going to say that I don't have many wrinkles. There's only one sort-of wrinkle under my left eye, because I have a habit of resting my face on my left hand a lot. Application was fairly easy; this is the last step in my routine, and I take a pea-sized amount and dot it directly under my eyes, and then pat it in with my ring finger until it absorbs. It didn't feel sticky afterward like most eye creams do. The skin around my eye area does look and feel a lot more moisturized after applying this, and it actually makes me look more awake. It doesn't really provide any anti-wrinkling power long term, but the day to day effects do make a difference in how tired and dry my eyes feel. I was thinking of passing this along to my mother-in-law, but I think I might keep this one and give her my Returning Starfish eye cream that I ordered accidentally, thinking that it was the moisturizing cream. (Maybe I'll review the Returning Starfish eye cream in a later post, I have too much to say on that one... image)


PROS:

FC2無料カウンター Moisturizes well and smooths fine lines temporarily
FC2無料カウンター Lightweight, doesn't feel greasy or sticky
FC2無料カウンター Brightens
FC2無料カウンター Fragrance-free

CONS:

FC2無料カウンター Burned the crap out of my eyes (Do NOT apply this too close to your actual eyeballs)
FC2無料カウンター Doesn't provide any long-term anti-aging effects
FC2無料カウンター Contains Cetearyl Alcohol, which may be a potential acne trigger/irritant for some


Final Verdict:
Overall, I really liked this eye cream, more than I thought I would. I don't think I necessarily need to use an eye cream daily, so I'll probably leave this for those days when I feel like my tired eyes could use a pick-me-up. It's definitely a great bargain as well, one little pea-sized amount is enough for both eyes, so this $14 jar will last quite a while! I just don't think I'll be getting into the habit of buying eye creams all the time, as I still stand by the notion that a regular moisturizer should work just as well for the eye area. Still, for those who routinely use eye creams, this one's great, and one of the only eye creams that I actually saw results from using.

So, this review might have been a teensy bit longer than I had originally planned, but I wanted to give you guys a good sense of what the ingredients were in all of the products, as well as my personal experience with them. It was pretty fun trying out some of the products from the Mizon Snail Repair line, and I'm looking forward to trying the other three products and reviewing them as well! 



Disclaimer: All thoughts and opinions on this blog are strictly my own. No monetary compensation was received in exchange for this review, although this blog does accept goods and/or services for the purposes of an honest review. Posts may contain affiliate or referral links.

No comments

Cute Polka Dotted Red Bow Tie Ribbon