Walmart Beauty Box Summer 2015 Review!


Hey everyone! The Summer 2015 Walmart Beauty Box showed up on my doorstep this morning! Super late, yes, but it's still here and that's what counts.  Keep reading for a full review!

What is the Walmart Beauty Box?
For those who are unfamiliar with the Walmart Beauty Box, it is a quarterly subscription created by - you guessed it - Walmart. Inside comes a bunch of drugstore beauty and personal care samples, and occasionally full sized products. Walmart markets this box as "free", but they charge $5 shipping so I like to think of this as just a $5 subscription box. If you enjoy drugstore products (which I know I do - hello, cheap beauty essentials!) the Walmart Beauty Box is a great way to sample new brands that you haven't heard of yet and receive helpful beauty tips and coupons.

The boxes so far seem completely random in selection, and not everyone will receive the same products. I know my box arrived with very different products from some other subscribers' boxes! 

 Vaseline Intensive Care Radiance Restore Healing Serum ($~8) 

This Vaseline brand healing serum is actually a full sized product! Woo! Although this is labeled as a "serum", it has the consistency of a slightly watery lotion. Its non-greasy cocoa butter and black currant formula is supposed to leave skin feeling radiant and smooth, and it contains micro-droplets of Vaseline jelly for extra moisture.

                           



This lotion is ...okay. It soaked in very quickly and didn't sit on top of my skin, and my hands didn't feel greasy at all! Unfortunately, I have other lotions that can do a much better job, and for something that contains cocoa butter high up on the ingredients list, it didn't do a great job of moisturizing, just an okay one.  It was a nice thing to receive, but I wouldn't go out of my way and spend $8 to purchase this.

 Aveeno Protect + Hydrate Lotion Sunscreen SPF 30 (Full Size: $~7) 

This is a sample sized tube of the Aveeno Protect and Hydrate Lotion Sunscreen SPF 30. This sunscreen claims to provide UVA/UVB protection while hydrating and moisturizing skin. I like Aveeno, but I prefer to stick to my Asian sunscreens, like my Shiseido Senka SPF50 sunscreen, and I need something that is at least SPF40/PA+++, so I'll save this for a cloudy day, or pass it along to someone else. 

 Neutrogena Healthy Skin Boosters White Tea & 
Vit. E Facial Cleanser (Full Size: $~7) 

I've been pretty iffy about my cleansers lately. Ever since I read about how high pH cleansers can be damaging to your skin (If you want to learn more about the role pH can have on your skin, read Snow White and the Asian Pear's blogpost about it here) I've been a lot more careful about what cleansers I use, and I try to stick to products with a pH of around 5.5-6. Before I became preoccupied with pH, I used to love Neutrogena face washes. But until I test the pH of this, I'm going to keep on using my usual cleanser. I'm liking the white tea and vitamin E in the ingredients list, though! image

 Rimmel London Show Off Lip Lacquer in "Apocaliptic" &
"Out of this World" ($~5 ea.) 

I totally lucked out and got 2 of these instead of just one! image I received Rimmel London's Show Off Lip Lacquer in both "Apocaliptic" (left) and "Out of this World" (right). For $5 lip products, these are the bomb. They go on so smoothly and aren't drying at all, and for lip glosses, that is super important to me. I am not a lip gloss girl, but these lip lacquers provide just enough moisture and shine, and don't leave my lips feeling sticky and gross. And I got two of them. Score! 


Apocaliptic is an extremely pigmented hot pink, and Out of this World is a shimmery, natural pink. I really love Out of this World, it's super moisturizing and is great for everyday wear. As for Apocaliptic, I received a liquid lipstick from Stila in this month's Birchbox that it almost the exact same color, but this one is a lot less drying and leaves a shiny finish as opposed to Stila's matte finish. 拾い画の画像(プリ画像) I'm so glad I got 2, thanks to whoever messed up at the Walmart Beauty Box Headquarters!

 One Direction "You & I" Eau de Parfum (Full Size: $~29) 
     

I'm going to ignore the fact that I dislike One Direction and try to remain as objective as possible. デコメ image of Pic I normally don't like receiving perfume samples in subscription boxes, because I have so much perfume already, and if I really wanted to, I could go to the perfume counter at Macy's and pick up a bunch. But for a $5 box, I guess I can't complain. This smells really fruity/flowery, with obvious citrus overtones. I wouldn't buy it myself, but it isn't a bad scent; it just reminds me of what I used to wear when I was 14. Which is accurate I guess, since it's... well, One Direction.  Maybe I'll keep it in my car to spray the seats/air vents. Cute emoticons デコメ         

 Simple Micellar Cleansing Water (Full Size: $~6) 
             
These are two sample foil packets for Simple Micellar Cleansing Water. Cleansing water is meant to remove makeup and cleanse the skin of impurities, and this cleansing water is made from triple purified water and contains Vitamins C and B3 to help nourish the skin. I don't know how much use I'll get out of these tiny foil packets, as there isn't enough product for me to get a feel for it and see if I like it. Chu!! I hate foil packets.    
     
 Final Verdict 

The Walmart Beauty Box isn't the most cutting-edge subscription when it comes to beauty, but it was a fun thing to try out for $5, and between the full-sized lotion and the lip lacquers, I definitely got my money's worth. The only things I didn't really enjoy were the perfume sample and the cleansing water samples, but everything else was nice and it all tied in well with the "Summer" theme.  At least I didn't receive any self-tanner. LOVE(*/□\*) のデコメ絵文字 My favorite items in the box were definitely the Rimmel London lacquers, though! Bottom line, if you want to receive high end, deluxe size samples/full sized products, the Walmart Beauty Box isn't for you. But if you like sampling travel sized drug store products to find some new brands you might like, it's worth the $5. 

If you want to give the Walmart Beauty Box a try, you can sign up OVER HERE. They ship every quarter, so you'll probably be receiving the Fall box as a first box, which will begin shipping out the second week of September. Deco-mail pictograms of the rabbit 


image

Disclaimer: All thoughts and opinions on this blog are strictly my own. No monetary compensation was received in exchange for this review, although this blog does accept goods and/or services for the purposes of an honest review. Posts may contain affiliate or referral links.




Follow

No comments

Cute Polka Dotted Red Bow Tie Ribbon