Boxycharm October 2015 Review & Unboxing


This month's Boxycharm was seriously one of my favorite months, so much so that I had been checking my doorstep every day in eager hopes that it had finally made it's way to me. October is one of my favorite months, as I finally get to wear black lipstick and big poofy sweaters and not get funny looks for it, so I'm glad Boxycharm chose an eerie, "halloween-y" type theme that appeals to my inner witchy-ness. I'm so feeling it. Bring on the blacks and dark greys!

What is Boxycharm?
Boxycharm is a $21 monthly beauty and makeup subscription service. Each month, subscribers will receive 4-5 full size beauty products, which can range anywhere from cosmetics and skincare to hair products or nail care. Boxycharm is a lot like Glossybox (you can read the Glossybox reviews I've put up here), but more makeup-heavy, so if you're stuck between the two but prefer more makeup products, Boxycharm might be your best bet!

The theme for October is "Faces of the Moon":
"Like the phases of the moon, a part of us is always hidden. This month, embrace who you are and let the enchanting beauty of all of your "faces" show. Remember, you can always be whoever you choose to be - the stars will align in your favor. Let your light illuminate the darkness, Charmers!"

The info card that came inside, fully explaining all the products! Isn't it gorgeous?

Boxycharm July 2015 Review  Doucce Punk Volumizer Mascara (Full Size: $24) Boxycharm July 2015 Review

This is one of the products that I was most curious about in this month's box - I'm not particularly familiar with Doucce products, but this mascara just looks so cool! I'm really digging the chunky packaging and blocky lettering for some reason. I just threw out a shit ton of old mascara (I'm really trying to get new mascara every 3 months, since that's supposedly how long they last before they expire) so I'm glad I received a new one to try!


The brush is your standard bristles, which I like a lot more than the weird rubbery combs that have been showing up in a lot of mascaras. The secret to long, full lashes is in the brush, guys. Luckily, I've been seeing more bristles than rubber comb-y things around, so hopefully mascara companies got the picture and broke up with those weird wands that did absolutely nothing for me but get mascara all over my eyelids.

What Boxycharm says:
"The Punk Volumizer Mascara's XXL brush features both long and short bristles that work to separate, lengthen, and add extreme volume to your lashes!"

To use: For a standout look, place wand at the base of your lashes to create volume at the roots. Using a back and forth motion, sweep upward for a curled effect.

Boxycharm July 2015 Review  Lord & Berry Line/Shade Eyeliner (Full Size: $18) Boxycharm July 2015 Review

This seems to be your typical black eyeliner pencil. Self explanatory. I haven't been super impressed with Lord & Berry products unfortunately; the formulation is nice but both the eyeliner and the lip liner I have from this company have NO staying power. What a shame, because the company's name is cute. 

Swatch!

What Boxycharm says:
"Achieve eye-opening intensity with the Line/Shade eyeliner pencil. Formulated with kajal and kohl to provide rich, consistent color, these pencils are blendable and also waterproof!"

To use: Gently line your waterline or tightline using this smooth liner. For a soft smoky eye, use small strokes to draw along the lash line and bland with a synthetic brush. 

Boxycharm July 2015 Review  Palmetto Derma Rejuvenating Antioxidant Mask (Full Size: $64) Boxycharm July 2015 Review

Woooooh, skincare! I always get so excited when I see skincare in subscription boxes. If there was a subscription box that specialized in skincare items, I would totally sub to that. This is a soft clay mask that's supposed to help brighten and smooth skin by cleansing away impurities and clearing out pores. I'm super excited to test this out, but apparently many people have been having issues with irritation and redness after using this, so I'm going to patch test it first to make sure it's safe for my skin. This mask is pricey as well, weighing in at $64 (which is more than 3 times the cost of the entire box!!!) so I hope it works well for me.


Ingredients:
Deionized Aqua, Organic Aloe Barbidensis Leaf, Kaolin Clay, Gycolic Acid, Squalene, Lactic Acid, Isopropyl Palmitate, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Kosher Vegetable Glycerin, Sodium Stearate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Glucoside, Stearyl Alcohol, Organic Cocos Nucifera, Cetyl Alcohol, Sodium Hydroxide, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Cranberry Fibers, Hibiscus Petals, Vaccinium Augustifolium, Organic Vaccinium Macrocarpon, Punus Amygduls Dulcis, Vitus Vinifera, Wildcrafted Mahonia Aquifolium, Wildcrafted Camellia Sinensis, Organic Glycyrrhiza Glabra, Wildcrafted Myrcia Cerifera, Organic Capsicum Annuum Var, Aannuum, Rubus Idaeus, Hippophae Rhamnoides, Red Wine Polyphenols, Organic Simmondsia Chinesis, Calophyllum Inophyllum, Rosa Canina, Ubiquinone, Cassia Angustifolia Seed Polysaccharide, Wildcrafted Vinca Major, Prunus Armeniaca, Phytic Acid, Phospholipids, Tocopherol, Lecithin, Pyrus Malus, Citrus Medica Limonum, Saccharum Officinarum, Dipeptide Diaminobutyroyl Benzylamide Diacetate, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Acetyl Hexapeptide-3, Sclerotium Gum, Potassium Sorbate, Xanthan Gum, Phenoxyethanol, Benzyl Alcohol, Rose Botanical Essence, Organic Centella Asiatica, Organic Equisetum Arvense, Organic Pelagonium Gravoleons, Organic Taraxacum Officinale
 The mask is full of weird chunky stuff that I strangely can't wait to rub all over my face. Awesome.

What Boxycharm says:
"The soft clay in this mask gently purifies the skin and cleanses pores by absorbing impurities. Its advanced antioxidants defend against free radicals to reverse daily skin damage, while its cooling effect refreshes and soothes."

To use: For bright and smooth skin, apply a thin, even layer to face and allow to set. Rinse with warm water, and pat dry.

Boxycharm July 2015 Review  Bellapierre Cheek & Lip Stain (Full Size: $20) Boxycharm July 2015 Review

This is one of those multi-function lip/cheek products that can work as both a blush and a lip product. But... $20?!?! I don't think so. Maybe half that price would be reasonable. It's a nice enough color, but I certainly wouldn't pay $20 for one little pot of this stuff.

Swatch!

It is a really nice coral color, and it's super blendable. I haven't yet tested the staying power, but still. $20 is a LOT for a little tiny container of this, and for a brand I haven't even heard of... come on, Boxycharm. CHECK YO SELF. 

What Boxycharm says:
"Use this light-weight, oil-free Cheek and Lip Stain to add a subtle blush to any look!"

To use: Apply using a lip brush or gently sweep product onto lips with your finger. Apply a small amount of product to your cheeks using a synthetic brush, or dab lightly with fingers to blend.

Boxycharm July 2015 Review  Cult Cosmetics Nail Polish in "Boneyards" (Full Size: $12) Boxycharm July 2015 Review

I've been so into doing my nails lately (I suck at it, so I'm desperately trying to teach myself - thanks Youtube, for existing and teaching me all the things) so I'm excited to see this gorgeous color in this month's box! It looks a bit light in the photo, but it's a deep, dark grey when applied. It's also incredibly opaque; I only had to apply one coat to get good results. 



It's such a perfect color for Halloween. image While I love more popular polishes such as Essie and OPI, I'm really into trying out more indie/niche companies and seeing what they have to offer. Plus, I don't own any Cult Cosmetics polishes so I'm excited to try one!

What Boxycharm says:
"CULT Polishes brings you the latest in style and color, so you're always on-trend with their vegan-friendly, ethically made, and 5 FREE products." 

To use: Apply 1-2 even layers to nails and allow to dry. Finish with a gloss or matte top coat.

Boxycharm July 2015 Review  Final Verdict Boxycharm July 2015 Review
My October Boxycharm cost me $21 and had a total combined value of $138! That is seriously an incredible deal, especially since the value of Boxycharm's boxes seems to usually hover around the $80-$100 mark. Although the bulk of the value was in the clay mask, I'm incredibly happy with every single one of the other products, so this box was a total win for me! No complaints here, which is super rare as I'm never usually 100% excited about every item in the sub boxes I receive, Boxycharm or otherwise. So the fact that I love and am going to use every single one of these products is saying something! Not to mention the presentation was gorgeous, and the theme was right up my alley. I'd have to say that this month's box was one of my favorites! 

If you'd like to sign up for a Boxycharm subscription, you can do so OVER HERE. I think there's still time to get this box if you sign up now, so hurry hurry! Boxycharm July 2015 Review

No comments

Cute Polka Dotted Red Bow Tie Ribbon