Play! by Sephora July 2016 Review


Play! by Sephora is a monthly skincare and makeup subscription that costs $10/month. Inside every box, you'll receive 6 samples, a Play! Book of tips and tricks, and a Play! Pass for free one-on-one tutorials and subscriber meetups at your local store. I absolutely love Sephora (despite it's bank-breaking prices), so of course I couldn't resist signing up for the subscription! Currently, Play! by Sephora is in waitlist mode, so the sooner you join the waitlist, the sooner you'll receive your first box! Shipping is only available to the 48 contiguous United States.








July's theme is "Summer Radness", so naturally some warm weather, beachy finds are included in this month's box!



First Aid Beauty Face Cleanser (Full Size: $20) - A fragrance-free, gentle cleanser that effectively removes makeup, dirt, and grime, leaving skin soft and supple. Rich in botanicals and antioxidants, this cleanser transforms from a light, whipped texture to a lush, creamy lather. I'm always up for a new cleanser, and First Aid Beauty is a company I've had my eye on for awhile! Their products are completely free of harsh chemicals and known allergens such as parabens, phthalates, alcohol, fragrances, and artificial dyes. This cleanser also claims to be pH balanced and calm redness, which I definitely need much of. 





Beauty Blender Blotterazzi (Full Size: $20) - This is a blotting sponge made from the same material as the Beauty Blender. Washable and reusable, this cushion blotter is designed to fit into facial contours and spaces that traditional blotting papers miss to remove shine and absorb oil without disturbing makeup. I have to admit, I was really intrigued when I pulled this out of my box, and I'm excited to test it out! The idea of a reusable blotting too is very intriguing.



Smashbox Photo Finish Primer (Full Size: $36) - I don't think I'll ever have to buy this full sized, because I receive so many samples! I have at least 4 sitting in my makeup stash somewhere. Silky and lightweight, this iconic primer for normal to dry skin keeps makeup in place while helping to create a flawless finish. The silky blend of vitamins and antioxidants smooths and perfects skin, while the unique formula supports natural collagen and fills in fine lines and pores. 

Nest Fragrances in "Citrine" (Full Size: $68) - Layers of fresh lotus flower, lemon blossom, freesia, sparkling citrus, and precious woods. This fragrance is really fresh and floral, perfect for summer. It's more of a mature fragrance, but more "sophisticated chic" rather than "old lady". 




Benefit Dew the Hoola Soft Matte Liquid Bronzer (Full Size: $28) - A soft, matte bronzer. The smoothing effects and lightweight, buildable texture can be applied on bare skin or over foundation for a shimmerless, sunkissed glow. Apparently this shade is universal, but it seems pretty dark coming out of the container, so I'll have to play around with it and see. Most bronzers just make my face look weird/dirty since I'm so pale, so I guess I'll see how it goes. 



Ouai Wave Spray (Full Size: $26) - A weightless texture mist infused with rice protein to add hold and memory for that perfect beachy look, giving hair natural wave and body without any dryness or crunch. Formulated without parabens or phthalates. I've been blessed with hair that (mostly) behaves, so I usually use very little in the way of hair care, and almost never use heat, so I'm interested in how defined this can make my naturally wavy hair!



Final Verdict: I like this box a lot more than the previous Play! boxes I've received. I'll be using 5 out of the 6 samples sent, which is pretty good. I'm so glad Sephora included practical samples this month (practical for me, at least). I'll get good use out of the cleanser and blotter, and the Smashbox primer is a primer I already use regularly. Play! by Sephora is a great box for those who prefer to sample higher end skincare/makeup before making a purchase, and is more fun than Birchbox or Ipsy, which are in the same $10/mo price range. Have you tried Play! by Sephora yet? What did you think of July's box? 

If you'd like your own Play! by Sephora subscription, you can reserve your spot on the waitlist here!

No comments

Cute Polka Dotted Red Bow Tie Ribbon