Day 2 of the #30daysofkbeauty Challenge: Oil Cleansers!



Hello! Day 2 of the #30daysofkbeauty challenge is all about oil cleansers, or first cleansers! The hallmark of the Asian skincare routine is double cleansing, a great SPF, and a moisturizer, and in order to get all traces of makeup off of your face so that your cleanser can do it's job, it's a good idea to invest in a first cleanser.

What is Oil Cleansing, You Ask?
Oil Cleansing is the first step in your skincare routine, and involves using oils to remove makeup, dead skin cells, and other impurities from the surface of your skin prior to cleansing. Using oil to slough away all the gunk on your face before using your actual face wash/cleanser helps clear your skin so that your second cleanser can get deep down into your pores and properly do its job. 

Regardless of skin type, there is an oil cleanser out there that WILL work for you. Trust me on this one. Even if you have the oiliest of oily skin, using an oily cleanser will actually help dissolve the oil and sebum that your skin secretes, because oil dissolves oil. It's basic chemistry. So what's actually happening is the oil cleanser is breaking up all the oil and makeup on your skin, without stripping your face dry. The right oil cleanser won't make your skin oily, or clog your pores, even if you have an oil slick for a face like I do.  

I know Merida, I'm excited about it too. 

Ever since I incorporated an oil cleanser into my routine, my skin has been cleaner and clearer than when I just used my second cleanser alone (I even have a method to reduce the look of enlarged pores that involves a BHA (or beta hydroxy acid), a clay mask, and an oil cleanser). I use a few different oil cleansers that I rotate through my routine depending on my skin's needs, and while they aren't super fancy or extravagant, they're tried and true products that are budget-friendly and readily available!

Skinfood Black Sugar Cleansing Oil

Size: 170ml
Price: 
$12.47 on Amazon 
$7.90 on KoreaDepart
$5.96 on RoseRoseShop

Ah, my very first oil cleanser. Oh, the memories~! This Skinfood Black Sugar Cleansing Oil is an oil cleanser that contains mineral-enriched Brazilian black sugar. It claims to dissolve even the toughest makeup while leaving skin soft, and I have to say, it does. This dissolves even my waterproof mascara, so this is definitely a fallback product for me, where even if I'm not using it, I'll always have a bottle in my house somewhere.



Ingredients: 
Mineral Oil, PEG-20 Glyceryl Triisostearate, Octyldodecanol, Sorbeth-30 Tetraoleate, Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Polysorbate 20, Triethylhexanoin, Water, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, 1,2-Hexanediol, Alcohol Denate., Hydrogenated Lecithin, Cholesterol, Ceramide 3, Dimethicone, Tocopheryl Acetate, Sodium PCA, Betaine, Sorbitol, Glycine, Alanine, Proline, Serine, Threonine, Arginine Lysine, Glutamicacid, Disodium EDTA, Sucrose, Fragrance, FD&C Yellow No. 5 (CI 19140), D&C Red No. 33 (CI 17200), FD&C Blue No. 1 (CI 42090)  
The ingredients list is a little touchy, as the first ingredient here is mineral oil, and further down the list is alcohol denat., which may be an irritant for some. The CosDNA breakdown can be seen here.
Regardless of this, this oil cleanser works really well for my sensitive skin. I have not broken out from using this, and it emulsifies very easily under water. Not to mention, I've had this bottle for almost 6 months, and I still have 2/3 of the bottle left, so this lasts for quite a while!


The consistency is a bit thicker than water, and it smells faintly of lemons and sugar. If you're sensitive to scents, you may want to skip this cleanser and head for an unscented one. 

To use:
Take a moderate amount (1-2 pumps) on a dry hand and gently rub onto face to remove makeup. Rinse with water to remove, and then follow up with a foaming facial cleanser. 

iCharming Witch's Pouch Collagen Lip & Eye Remover

Size: 4.50oz
Price:
$10.00 on Beateque

This stuff works like a charm! (Heh). Seriously, of all the eye and lip makeup removers I've used (both AB and western), this one works the best for me. My makeup just melts off, even my waterproof mascara and Stila waterproof liquid liner, which is known for being a pain in the butt to remove, just slides away. While I don't use this everyday, I'll use it on heavier makeup days when my other oil cleansers just won't cut it by themselves. 



Ingredients: 
Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Isohexadecane, Butylene Glycol, Oriza Sativa (Rice) Bran Oil, Olea Europaea (Olive) Fruit Oil, Vitus Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Sodium Chloride, Cl 42090, Benzalkonium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Fragrance
This is one of those eye/lip makeup removers that you have to mix together, which in my opinion is the best kind. This reminds me of the Neutrogena Eye Makeup Remover that I used before I converted to AB, except this one is way more effective (and less greasy). The CosDNA report came up pretty okay, with only olive oil and jojoba oil being signaled as potential irritants.

This stuff is hard to find, though. It isn't on Amazon, Ebay, RoseRoseShop, KoreaDepart, Jolse. Nada. The only place I see it available is on Beauteque. 

To use:
Using a cotton pad, swipe gently across the eye/lip area to remove all traces of makeup.

Banila Co. Clean It Zero Purity for Sensitive Skin

Size: 100ml
Price:
$20.99 on Amazon
$16.91 on KoreaDepart
$25 on Beauteque
$19.12 on BeautyNetKorea

This oil cleanser is definitely one of my favorites, if not my absolute favorite. This is a semisolid cleanser with a soft, sherbet-like consistency, and it melts into an oil when it comes into contact with the skin. One thing I love about this oil cleanser is that there's no mess - no dripping oil all down your arms or onto your sink! And it removes my makeup every. single. time. It's great. And it only takes a small amount, so this tub should last me awhile as well. 




Ingredients: 
Cetyl Ethylhexanoate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, PEG-20 Glyceryl Triisostearate, PEG-10 Isostearate, Polyethylene, Argania Spinosa Kernal Oil, Oenothera Biennis (Evening Primrose) Oil, Portulaca Oleracea Extract, Glycyrrhiza Glabra (Licorice) Root Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract, Scutellaria Baicalensis Root Extract, Polygonum Cuspidatum Root Extract, Althaea Rosea Flower Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Water, Epilobium Augustifolium Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Beat-Carotene, Water, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Capryhydroxamic Acid, Caprylyl Glycol, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange) Peel Oil, Abies Sibirica Oil, Rosmarinus Officinalus (Rosemary) Leaf Oil, Lavandula Augustifolia (Lavender) Oil
Banila Co. Clean It Zero Purity promises to remove dirt, oil, and residue without stripping skin of its natural oils. It comes packaged in a sturdy tub with an insert that holds a little spoon, included to help remove the cleanser from the container. The cleanser has no added fragrance, but it does have a clean, fresh scent that is unoffensive, so those who are sensitive to fragrance shouldn't be bothered by the smell.

The main ingredient in this oil cleanser is mineral oil, so while that can be a pore clogging agent for some, skincare is all YMMV, and mineral oil is actually known to be a pretty safe and useful cleansing ingredient. It also contains a bunch of botanicals such as licorice root extract, camellia extract, calendula flower extract, aloe extract, and more.

This oil cleanser has definitely secured a permanent spot in my skincare lineup. It's gentle, effective, and not to mention portable! This thing won't spill in your bag when you take it on trips or vacations, and it comes in a whole bunch of other kinds too!

To use:
Use spatula to scoop a small amount and massage balm over dry skin. Rinse skin with lukewarm water and pat dry.

Happy cleansing!

No comments

Cute Polka Dotted Red Bow Tie Ribbon