Ipsy December 2016 Review


Hey beauties! I recently took a hiatus from subscription boxes due to moving expenses/student loans, but I decided to resubscribe because while I have tons of skincare, I feel like my makeup collection could be added to a wee bit more (I mean, you can never have enough makeup, am I right? :D). I'm excited because normally my Ipsy glam bags fall a little short for me, but I absolutely adored my bag this month, and for $10 I think the value was well worth it.

Ipsy is a $10 a month makeup and beauty subscription. Subscribers receive a Glam bag filled with deluxe samples and full sized beauty products. Each bag usually brings 4-6 products from top cosmetic brands, and they can be anything from makeup to skincare to nail polish...you name it! When you first sign up, you'll take a beauty quiz that helps Ipsy determine your preferences, and from there they'll send you products that they think you'll enjoy. There are a lot of variations in what is sent out, so you may see other subscribers get totally different products from you! After you receive your glam bag and get to trying everything out, don't forget to review the samples you receive! That way if you don't like something, you can let Ipsy know so they can avoid sending you what you don't want to receive. 

This month had a theme of "Carpe P.M.": "Forget the rules, responsibilities, and to do lists. Right now, there's only fun! Decide to live in the freaking moment. Here's a little game plan to get you started."



Ouai Wave Spray - A weightless mist that leaves strands looking perfectly undone anytime of year, without feeling dry or crunchy. Contains rice protein to help hair maintain its shape and add volume, and contains no parabens and is cruelty-free. I received many samples of this little salt spray in past Birchbox/Ipsy months, and I don't mind receiving more. I don't really like many salt sprays, but this one does give my hair a bit of texture without drying it out or giving me frizz/flyaways. Plus, it smells dang good.

Cake Beauty Heavy Cream Intensive Hand Repair Balm - This hand balm is a creamy blend of fourteen nutrient-rich natural ingredients (including shea butter, olive oil, and coconut oil) and goes on thick but sinks in like a dream. It also contains white pine bark extract for an extra dose of hydration, bearberry extract for brightening, and other yummy, good-for-your-skin ingredients such as camellia sinensis (green tea) leaf extract, pomegranate extract, licorice root extract, and panax ginseng extract. The best part is, it smells like cake! It has a mouth-watery vanilla-y caramel scent that has me applying this multiple times a day just so I can sniff my hands in public like a weirdo. I love the ingredients, so I may consider purchasing the full size. 



Tarte Cosmetics Deluxe Maracuja Oil - Rich in essential fatty acids known to recharge and replenish the skin, maracuja oil works to rejuvenate and deliver an even-toned complexion while its infusion of vitamin C creates the appearance of brighter skin. It has no parabens, sulfates, or phthalates, and is vegan, hypoallergenic, and free of mineral oil and sodium lauryl sulfates. This powerful elixir claims to provide anti-aging benefits and instant hydration - quenching dry skin without leaving it greasy or filmy. I absolutely love oils - I used to shy away from them (I mean, who wants their skin to look greasy?) but I've found that oils have played a huge part in balancing out the oil/moisture ratio in my skin, and just a few drops added to my evening moisturizer or foundation in the morning help keep my skin looking dewy and healthy, without any greasy buildup. This oil can also be used as a makeup remover, cuticle moisturizer, or to tame flyaways, but I'm definitely going to use every precious drop of this onto my dry winter skin. This has been on my wishlist for ages, so I'm feeling very #blessed to have received this in my December bag.








Ciate London Liquid Velvet Matte Liquid Lipstick in "Pin Up" - I've never been much of a liquid lipstick fan (they tend to accentuate dryness in my already desert-dry lips), but I instantly fell in love with this gorgeous, purplish-pink lippie. This is probably the most comfortable liquid lipstick I've ever worn, and the beautiful berry color looks great on a variety of skin tones. It contains hyaluronic acid to hydrate lips and make them look smooth and fuller. When I wear this, is doesn't even feel like I have anything on my lips, and the staying power is not too shabby either (almost 5 hours of no touch-up, it survived tons of eating, drinking, and blabbering). Love! Can I have this in every shade, please??



NYX Professional Makeup Prismatic Shadow in "Punk Heart" -  More eye shadow? Yes, please! My eye shadow collection is embarrassingly small, and for years I just never bothered with it because I have hooded lids that tend to get oily throughout the day, so any attempt at eye shadow ended up looking like a hot mess after a couple of hours. Thankfully, over the years I've learned how to apply eye shadow to my hooded lids and have since discovered the useful invention that is eye shadow primer, so I'm excited to receive this! Punk Heart is incredibly pigmented and a stunningly beautiful amethyst shade that's perfect for evening time. The swatch above is only one swipe, so this can look subtle but can also easily be build up for a bolder look. Best part is, it blends like a dream and there's very minimal fallout, which is great because glittery cheeks have just never been in style.



Overall, I'm super impressed with my Ipsy glam bag this month, and I'll be using everything inside, which is impressive for a subscription bag. I'll even be proudly toting around the fuzzy pink bag, which seems much higher quality than many bags I've received from Ipsy in the past. For only $10 a month, I love being able to try makeup/beauty products I wouldn't normally think to purchase, and I love finding new favorites (like the tarte oil and the ciate lipstick!). If you'd like to snag your own December glam bag, you can do so here.

Did you receive your December Ipsy glam bag yet? What did you think?

Disclaimer: All thoughts and opinions on this blog are strictly my own. No monetary compensation was received in exchange for this review, although this blog does accept goods and/or services for the purposes of an honest review. Posts may contain affiliate or referral links.

No comments

Cute Polka Dotted Red Bow Tie Ribbon