Walmart Beauty Box Summer 2016 Review & Unboxing


I have been out of the subscription box game for a minute; between moving across the country (turns out - it's hella expensive! Who knew?) to trying to put as much money as I can into my savings, I've been on a no-buy for awhile. I've broken it a few times (haven't we all, though?), but for the most part, I've pretty much unsubscribed from every subscription box service. Except Walmart, apparently. Truth be told, I didn't realize that I never received my summer Walmart Beauty Box (and I honestly didn't even know I was still subscribed) but it arrived on my doorstep a few days ago, and my reaction was pretty much "Meh, okay". I almost never review these on my blog (I do post unboxings on social media, though - links in sidebar), but I decided eh, why not.

For those unfamiliar with the Walmart Beauty Box, it is a quarterly subscription created by - you guessed it - Walmart. Inside comes a bunch of drugstore beauty and personal care samples, and occasionally full sized products. Walmart markets this box as "free", but they charge $5 shipping so I like to think of this as a $5 subscription box. If you enjoy drugstore products (which I know I do - hello, cheap beauty essentials!) the Walmart Beauty Box is a great way to sample new brands that you haven't heard of yet and receive helpful beauty tips and coupons along the way.

The boxes so far seem completely random in selection, and not everyone will receive the same products. I know my boxes ten to arrive with very different products from some other subscribers' boxes!


Nivea In-Shower Body Lotion Sample Satchet (Full Size: $5.74) - And a $1 coupon to go with it. The green card is just an info card on the toothpaste that arrived in the box. I've been curious about in-shower body lotion for a while, and have a few samples stocked up that I haven't quite gotten around to yet, so maybe I'll use this one tonight! It's supposed to moisturize instantly, and rinse off in the shower so you don't have to go through the extra step of applying lotion when you get out.


Vaseline Intensive Care Advanced Repair Unscented Lotion Deluxe Sample (Full Size: $8.48) - I was happy to receive this, although it's unexciting. One of the areas I think I neglect the most are my hands. I'm a bit of a clean freak, and use harsh cleaners daily. That, compiled with being a waitress for so many years and a nursing assistant (two jobs which require a lot of cleaning/hand-washing), my hands are pretty dry, especially around my nails/cuticles. I usually carry some lotion around with me in my purse, but I just can't be bothered to put it on because I absolutely loathe the feeling of having greasy lotion on my hands. I also touch my hair frequently (force of habit) and when I wear lotion, it just transfers into my already oily hair and makes it greasier. I actually really like this one, though! It truly is scent-free, sinks in within a matter of seconds, and leaves my hands soft and supple. I think I'm actually going to repurchase this specifically for my hands when this sample runs out, as I love it so much! Who would have thought I'd find something that I love so much in a Walmart Beauty Box. :') At just under $9 for 32 fl oz, this is definitely within my budget.

Incoco Coconut Nail Art Nail Polish Strips (Full Size: $4.97) - These are 100% real nail polish strips (so not plastic) and claim to offer 10-14 days of wear. They self-stick, and can be filed down to fit your nail perfectly, and can be removed with nail polish remover. I've never tried nail polish strips before (guess I missed that hype train), but I'm thinking these might be kinder to my already weak/brittle nails than nail polish is. I'm pretty excited to try them! The pattern isn't one that I'd normally choose for myself, but after some contemplation, it's cute enough to wear. This is a full sized product, so it already covers the cost of the box!


Burt's Bees Moisturizing Lipstick in "Blush Basin" (Full Size: $7.62) - Another full size product, and the item I was most excited about! This is a new moisturizing lipstick from Burt's Bees in the Shade "Blush Basin", which is a very subtle, natural looking pink. Unfortunately, the bullet came completely broken, and looks almost like it's been used. I've contacted Walmart about it, and if I get a response, I'll update. I haven't tried it out yet, because it looks like someone actually smooshed it with their finger and/or mouth. :( So disappointing!


Sally Hansen Air Brush Legs Leg Makeup Deluxe Sample in Medium (Full Size: $11.74) - This is a lightweight self-tanning lotion that's supposed to give your legs a natural, sun-kissed glow. I don't use self-tanning products, and frankly I'm kind of tired of seeing them in subscription boxes, as they immediately go into my giveaway pile. I wish there was an option to opt out.

Schwarzkopf Essence Ultime Diamond & Radiance Shampoo and Conditioner Deluxe Samples (Full Size: $5.97ea) - Shampoo and conditioner, pretty self explanatory. I haven't open these yet, but they're made to give shine/luminosity and protect color treated hair. I dye my hair regularly, so I'm excited to try these!

Arm and Hammer Truly Radiant Clean and Fresh Mint Flouride Anticavity Toothpaste Sample (Full Size: $3.13) - Another unexciting but useful item. I haven't opened this one up yet either as I already have 2 tubes of toothpaste open, but I've used this brand before and it's solid. I get so much toothpaste for free, I don't think I've had to actually purchase toothpaste in years, but this one is pretty inexpensive; I'll definitely keep it on hand.


The Walmart Beauty Box isn't something that I get super excited over receiving, but it's a fun, inexpensive way to try out new products that I wouldn't normally purchase. And that's part of the joy of subscription boxes for me! I don't think I would pick out any of these products if I saw them in the aisles of Walmart, so it's nice that I get to try them out and potentially find new favorites (like the Vaseline lotion!). I didn't really feel a "summery" theme going on except for the self-tanner (I guess maybe the nail wraps could be considered a "summery" item), but overall it was a pretty nice box and worth the $5 for me. My favorite items in the box were definitely the Burt's Bees lipstick (I'm so sad that it arrived broken!), the nail polish strips, and the lotion. Bottom line, if you want to receive high end, deluxe sized samples/full sized products, the Walmart Beauty Box probably isn't for you. But if you like sampling travel sized drug store products to discover some new brands you might like, it's worth looking into.

If you want to give the Walmart Beauty Box a try, you can sign up over here. They ship every quarter, so you'll probably receive the Fall box as a first box, which usually ships out the second week of September.

Have you tried out the Walmart Beauty Box yet? What do you think?

No comments

Cute Polka Dotted Red Bow Tie Ribbon