How to Get Rid of Pores from Hell: A Comparison of Elizavecca's Hell Pore Clean Up Mask & Daiso's Charcoal Peel Off Mask


My pores have always been such a huge issue for me. I have huge pores on my cheeks and nose (probably from years of sleeping in my makeup in high school) and my nose is constantly full of sebaceous filaments (which I like to endearingly call my "strawberry nose"). I recently decided that pore strips weren't going to cut it for me (they're also not great for your skin), so I've decided to do 2 things: consistently exfoliate with a mild BHA (currently using the COSRX BHA Blackhead Power Liquid) and use some peel off masks instead! Pore strips contain the same sticky chemical that hairspray does (it's what helps them adhere), and prolonged use of pore strips can lead to wrinkles, spider veins, broken capillaries, and permanently enlarged pores (because once you stretch those babies out, they ain't going back). I've been utilizing 2 products to help get rid of my pesky blackheads/sebaceous filaments: the Elizavecca Hell Pore Clean Up Mask, and the Daiso Charcoal Peel Off Mask.


Elizavecca Hell Pore Clean Up Mask ($11 for 100g/3.5oz, Made in Korea): This is a peel off mask that essentially removes blackheads/sebaceous filaments/other such skin impurities within one use. It contains 4% Charcoal Extract, as well as Camellia Flower and Caragana Sinica, which help to control excessive sebum while supplying nutrition to keep skin smooth and healthy looking.



To use: Apply a thin layer to skin after cleansing. Leave on for 15-20 minutes or until it dries down completely, and carefully remove. After peeling off, rinse skin with lukewarm water.




All of the packaging on Elizavecca products contain their Elizavecca Original seal of approval; there are apparently tons of knockoffs of this product floating around the interwebs, so be mindful to check for their seal of authenticity! I placed my order through a certified Amazon seller that was fulfilled by the Amazon warehouse, so just make sure the vendor you shop with is trustworthy.


Ingredients
Water, PVP Alcohol, Polyvinyl Alcohol, Charcoal Powder, Titanium Dioxide, Salicornia Herbacea Extract, Rhus Semialata Gall Extract, Diospyros Kaki Leaf Extract, Prunus Serrulata Flower Extract, Nelumbo Nucifera Flower Extract, Camellia Japonica Flower Extract, Cosmos Bipinnatus Callus Culture Extract, Nymphaea Alba Flower Extract, Rosa Hybrid Flower Extract, Saccharomyces/Caragana Sinica Root Ferment Extract, PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, 1,2-Hexanediol, Caprylyl Glycol, Butylene Glycol, Illicium Verum(Anise) Fruit Extract, Aluminum Hydroxide, Silica, Methyl acetate, Lithium, Magnesium, Sodium Silicate, Tetrasodium, Pyrophosphate, Fragrance. 
You can check out the COSDNA ingredient breakdown here.


Using this mask is very pleasant; it has a relaxing, cooling effect and it's very easy to spread. Gripe #1: the first time I used this mask, I applied it in a thin-ish layer all over my face, and I feel like I used up a third of the tube in one go. And at $11 a tube, I wish I hadn't. The good news is, I tried it again with a very, very thin layer, and it seemed to yield similar results, so my advice is to use a light hand with this, or you'll soon find yourself out $11 with an empty tube in your hands. :/

The product dispenses easily from the tube, and I applied it by squeezing a dollop onto the back of my hand and then using my fingers to apply it evenly to my face. I didn't much like how it smelled at first - kind of a boozy scent with undertones of clay/dirt - but the scent dissipates after a minute or two. I then waited about 30 minutes for it to dry (I put on a pretty thick layer), and the mask came off all in one piece. 

Performance wise? Meh. I enjoyed the results, but they weren't what I expected, nor were they what was advertised. This mask didn't pick up many of my blackheads/sebaceous filaments unfortunately; they were still stubbornly stuck in my nose when I peeled everything off (hence, no gross-yet-satisfying after photo). What it did do was remove pretty much all of my baby hairs on my cheeks/upper lip area, and it left my face feeling incredible soft and my skin tone looked a bit brighter! While I'm disappointed that I still haven't found a miracle cure-all for my strawberry nose, this mask did do wonders cleaning up dead skin and brightening my complexion, so I won't completely knock it. Will I repurchase? Maybe. Dead skin buildup can make for a dull complexion and impede product absorption, so I might keep this on hand just to get rid of dead skin/flakes. I suggest perhaps steaming your face or laying a warm, hot towel on your skin before hand might relax pores a bit, making this mask more effective. 


Daiso Charcoal Peel Off Mask ($4 for 80g/2.8oz, Made in Korea) - This charcoal peel-off mask is the much cheaper cousin of the Elizavecca Hell Pore Mask. It contains activated oak tree charcoal, which has so many benefits. Charcoal is a lifesaver for those with oily skin and overactive sebaceous glands (such as myself). Dirt/impurities bind to the activated charcoal on a cellular level, and the charcoal will pull these impurities to the surface of the skin, allowing them to be washed away and thus diminishing the appearance of blackheads/sebaceous filaments. It also does the same with oil, which is incredibly helpful for those with oily skin. Activated charcoal can also help those who suffer from acne; the slightly abrasive nature of charcoal can provide just the right level of exfoliation needed to clear out any oil/sebum that is stuck in pores, effectively preventing/discouraging breakouts. 

To use: After cleansing, evenly apply a thick layer to skin. Let dry for 15-20 minutes. Once ready to remove, slowly peel off starting from the bottom. Apply facial essence before use for those with sensitive skin. 




Ingredients: 
Water, Polyvinyl Alcohol, Alcohol, Charcoal Powder, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Microcrystalline Cellulose, PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Methylparaben, Cellulose Gum, Xanthan Gum, Butylparaben, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance, Morus Alba Bark Extract, Coix Lacryma Jobi Ma Yuen Seed Extract.
You can check out the COSDNA ingredient analysis here.



This mask has a bit of a thicker consistency than the Hell Pore mask, and as a result, takes a bit longer to dry. Contrary to the Hell Pore, a thick layer is needed in order to yield the desired yanking of blackheads and SFs. The scent of this mask is a bit more pleasant (smells clean, rather than like dirt), and dries more quickly than the Elizavecca mask. This one also hurt a lot more during removal, and let's just say I'm glad I didn't get any near my eyebrows! Despite the mask being a pain (literally!) to remove, I noticed more of a difference in the amount of gunk that was removed from my skin. I was able to pull more blackheads and sebaceous filaments, but there was a trade-off: my skin was a bit red/irritated afterwards.

Both of these masks definitely work more effectively when skin is freshly washed, and placing a hot towel over your face for a few minutes will definitely help loosen up all the gunk trapped in your pores, making it easy for the mask to lift everything away. While these are in no way cure-alls and won't permanently rid your skin of blackheads and clogged pores, they're a fun thing to do once or twice a week to keep them under control, and help your skin feel smooth and bright. Overall, I do prefer the Elizavecca to the Daiso, and here's why - the difference in the extraction of blackheads/sebaceous filaments between the two is negligible, but the Elizavecca Hell Pore mask was much gentler on my skin. The Daiso charcoal mask left my skin a little red/raw after removal, so if I had to choose one over the other, I would definitely go with the Elizavecca.

You can find the Elizavecca Hell Pore mask on Amazon and Memebox for $11, and you can find the Daiso Charcoal Peel Off Mask on Amazon for $5.57, and eBay for about $4.80.

Have you tried either of these peel off masks? What did you think? 

Disclosure: This product was purchased by me, and this post is not sponsored. All thoughts and opinions on this blog are my own, and no monetary compensation was received for this review. 

No comments

Cute Polka Dotted Red Bow Tie Ribbon