Japan Candy Box October 2015 Review & Unboxing


Snack subscriptions have got to be hands down one of my favorite types of subscriptions. I'm a self-proclaimed foodie (read: fatass) so anything snack-related,  I enjoy. When it comes to Japanese snacks and candy, I get even more excited! This is my first month receiving the Japan Candy Box, and I'm super excited to see what's in store! For some reason, my Japan Candy Box for October came extremely late, but here's the (better late than never) review!

 What is Japan Candy Box? 
Japan Candy Box is a relatively new subscription by Blippo, the same people who send the Kawaii Box (which I also sub to!). Each box is spilling over with delicious and fun Japanese candy, and Japan Candy Box promises 8-10 candies in every box. Each box costs $19.90 per month, but shipping is free and international.


Japan Candy Box arrives in a small white box with super kawaii tissue paper, and an info card with a list of what's inside the box. image

Sneak peak upon opening!


Meiji Pineapple Juice Gummies - These are little pineapple shaped gummies. Pretty normal as far as gummies go, but they have the most delicious pineapple flavor! These were a favorite of mine (since gummies are my favorite candy), so these were pretty much gone in one sitting. 

Lotte Koala March Biscuits - Little koala shaped cookies with strawberry filling, kind of like the ones you can find here in the US. I love these, but have only ever tasted the ones with chocolate filling so I was happy to try a new flavor!


Meiji Mini Candy Pack - These are little fruit flavored candies that reminded me exactly of Mike & Ikes, but gummier. I wish this little box was bigger, because Mike & Ikes are one of my favorite candies as well! 

Puccho Mango Chewy Candy - Mango chews that taste EXACTLY like mangoes. I have no idea how they do it, but these taste just like the fruit and are so, so good. My boyfriend and I split these equally, since we both absolutely love them. They're extremely chewy though, almost rubbery in texture.

I just realized that the giraffe cookies are upside-down. Drat.

Takeda Tamago Boro Egg Cookies - These are little round egg cookies that kind of look like American soup crackers. They had a distinct animal cracker taste, but left kind of a sandy/grainy residue in their wake. Not bad, but not the most exciting snack in the box.

Coris Strawberry Whistle Candy - Whistle candy!!! I adore whistle candy, it's such a cute little novelty. These are a powdery candy that taste like Smarties, and inside comes a little toy.


Kracie Popin' Cookin' DIY Takoyaki Set - This is the DIY item in this month's box, and it was takoyaki! Takoyaki is a ball-shaped Japanese snack made of batter and filled with bits of octopus, tempura, pickled ginger, or green onion. Inside was a little tray with a bunch of powder packets; all you have to do is add water according to the directions, mix, pour into the mold, and then cook in the microwave for 30-40 seconds. This took so long to do, mostly because we had to use a mold to make the shrimp and octopus bits, but it was actually really tasty so it was kind of worth the 35 minutes it took to make!


Pocky Panda Cookie Sticks - I absolutely adore Pocky, and while it is on some store shelves in the US, all of the cool and interesting flavors are usually only readily available in Japan. These are a kind of cookies and cream flavor, and were delicious, as is typical of Pocky.

Bourbon Petit White Chocolate Stuffed Cookies - These cookies are another one of my favorites! They're bite-sized vanilla wafers stuffed with a sweet white chocolate filling. These were also gone almost immediately (my boyfriend loves to hog the snacks. But to be fair, so do I). 


Puccho Awawawa Ball Candy -  These are fairly large, round candies covered in a sour-ish powder that fizzes when you put it in your mouth. I didn't like these too much, so I wound up passing them on to my boyfriend.

*Puccho soda candies mysteriously missing.*

Final Verdict - This box was so much fun! I'm surprised at how many candies were actually inside. Most of them were also things that I've never tried before, so that's always a plus! While I wish that there had been a greater balance between sweet and savory snacks sent out, we still had a blast trying out all the different candies and I'm excited for next month's box already!

If you'd like to sign up for your own Japan Candy Box subscription, you can do so OVER HERE. Shipping is international, so everyone can experience awesome Japanese candy goodness. Happy snacking!

No comments

Cute Polka Dotted Red Bow Tie Ribbon